Friday, February 29, 2008

Operation Kazakhstan: The Final Chapter

Word has finally been received that the U.S. Embassy in Kazakhstan is prepared to issue Andrei his immigration visa to America. Gaining this visa will be the long anticipated conclusion to the patient and enduring process of bringing Andrei home to our family. I will soon return to Kazakhstan - this time without Becky - and will be reunited with Andrei in Almaty for the first time since Becky and I left Karaganda a few weeks earlier. I can only imagine Andrei’s bewilderment when he sees me, surely not understanding where I have been all this time. I can also imagine this will not be the only source of his confusion, having just been uprooted from the only existence he can recall in the Karaganda orphanage.
But Andrei is not home yet. Before leaving Kazakhstan, he must submit to an exit health exam, and the two of us will face up to Embassy officials as they interview us (me) prior to the issuance of the visa. In all, Andrei and I will spend maybe three days in Almaty before we board our flight back to America. As in Karaganda, the winter is harsh in Almaty, and the days spent here will certainly not be the most pleasurable that we will share. Additionally, I will have to combat my anxieties about the long travel home (a potential ordeal with a two-year-old child). To quell this anxiety, I have been preparing myself by internally chanting: “this is all about Andrei, and the hardships and discomforts are temporary,” over and over again.
For the next few days until my departure to Almaty, I will spend my time hovering between two separate realities: my more recent inhabitance of a Bavarian mountain valley in southern Germany, and my mental anticipations of Kazakhstan and America. I am currently staying with my friend Thorsten in an 18th century farm house near Bad Tölz, not far from the Austrian border. With an early spring arrival, the local farming scene has come to life, preparing and fertilizing the patchworks of pasteur for the season’s hay production and grazing. Farmers, wives, tractors and animals have been mobilized, and it has been pacifying for my mind and soul to spectate the time-old dance that has been so integral to European (and human) development. This classic Bavarian reprieve has afforded me the rest and reserve I will need for the events to come.
In all, Operation Kazakhstan has been a wild experience. From the struggles of Kazakhstan to the riches of Europe, I have been able to place foot and finger upon the places and lifestyles I had known only from books. But I long to be with my family now, wearied by our separation across the globe. More than ever, I am ready to “mission accomplish”, and introduce Andrei to Edward as well as our American home. Fortunately, the time will be soon.

Charles

3 comments:

Regina said...

What beautiful writing.

We wish you much strength and endurance in completing this final chapter to bring Andrei home!

Best,
Regina (and Frank)
www.ruopoliadoption.blogspot.com

kitzkazventure said...

We are so excited for you! Maybe Almaty will have warmed up by the time you get there. We were in Central Kaz (karaganda region but southeast of Karaganda city) and it was like 30 degrees warmer in Almaty when we got there!

I did the trip home by myself also. Funny thing was that there were very gracious people along the way in every airport and on every plane that "helped". There were "those" people who stared and you knew what they were thinking but I found that the majority of the travellers were empathetic and willing to help. Just beg and plead for a bulkhead seat! I was not given one...they even had the nerve to put us in the middle ....with a toddler... are they crazy! Luckily, again, a wonderful father who had "been there" who helped!

I wish you could get the book first 1000 words in Russian. We used it all of the time to communicate. Maybe see if Germany has a version...at least it would have the pictures you could point to....kind of like an I spy book with tons of pics! Maybe grab some animal/kid magazines. We made up all kind of hand signals for animals and did those all of the time as a fun way to communicate...used this on the plane!

Nick was mostly intrigued with the plane and whatever they were passing out. He loved the remote...I had to guard the flight attendant button with my hand almost the whole time....they don't have a switch that can turn it off for a certain seat...bummer!

And, check out some bavarian or Kazakh candies and my special weapon, the mini chupa or dum dum suckers were great for taking off, landing, airport transfer, etc.....I don't give Nick sweets very much now but those suckers saved my life!

Just let people help you and don't worry about the "other" people. They have no idea what you both are going thru...

I thought Nick would really be freaking out but he loved the plane ride and we only had a little trouble waiting in the airports. I wish you both great travels as father and son!
The Kitzmans

ps.The embassy visit is no big deal...Nick was mostly intrigued by the guards and long elevator ride!

Anonymous said...


Are you in need of a loan? Do you want to pay off your bills? Do you want to be financially stable? All you have to do is to contact us for more information on how to get started and get the loan you desire. This offer is open to all that will be able to repay back in due time. Note-that repayment time frame is negotiable and at interest rate of 3% just email us creditloan11@gmail.com